• Select a School
  • Language

Substitute Teaching Information

Welcome! Thank you for the interest you have shown in the Elkhorn Area School District. Also, thank you in advance for the time and effort you will give to our students. When you multiply the numbers of days substitutes provide service in our classrooms by the number of students in those classrooms it is easy to see the tremendous impact you have on our education program. You and your colleagues will literally spend hundreds of hours working with our students. We want that time to be beneficial for the students and rewarding for you. Our school year will be better for having your support and involvement. We wish you the best and thank you for your investment in our students.

Below are some tips to get you started applying to be a substitute teacher in our district. 


If you have a valid WI Teacher’s license:
Please skip to the APPLY HERE section below. 


 If you do not have a WI Teacher’s license, but you do have an Associate’s Degree or higher

You will need to apply for a substitute teacher permit from the Department of Public Instruction by following the checklist below before you can apply to substitute.

  1. Contact Melissa Fifter fifeme@elkhorn.k12.wi.us to sign up and complete the district sponsored sub online training course through STEDI.org.
    • Print or save a copy of the certification which is needed for license paperwork.
    • Save copy of receipt for training course costs for reimbursement upon 10 successful days of subbing in the district.
  2. Obtain transcripts documenting your degree.
  3. Determine if you need to submit fingerprints. Fingerprint Decision Tree
  4. Create a WAMS ID.
  5. Complete PI -1622 Sub Form.               
  6. Apply for a permit through ELO:
    • Select the options below in the “Apply for a new license” section and then follow the next steps in ELO:
      • Teacher Category
      • S-Short Term Sub Permit
      • Teacher: Request New Short Term Sub Permit 1015
  7. For further details, please visit the DPI website.
  8. Once you have your permit please apply on WECAN. After 10 successful full days of subbing the district you can apply for reimbursement for the sub permit fee.


Please follow the steps below to complete the application process:

  1. Create an account (use personal email)
  2. Search for listing under "Professional Staff"
  3. Click Search Vacancy
  4. Under "Employer" type "Elkhorn Area School District"
  5. Click Search
  6. Click Substitute Teacher
  7. Click Apply
  8. Complete the requirements on the application page (cover letter, resume, six questions, etc.)

Contact Melissa Fifer at 262-723-3160 ext. 1411 for further information or if you have questions.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.